Updates, Folks

I’ve been catching hell from fans because I’m not supplying updates often enough. So, here’s a core dump…

Blog Cleanup
In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve moved most of my top pages to ‘Old Pages’. They were out-of-date or no longer relevant items, such as sample chapters for books that are now published. I didn’t want to delete them because of the number of visitor posts that I’d lose. I’ll try to keep this site better organized in the future.

Outland
I have finished the rewrite (it’s gone well past an ‘edit’ in scope) and handed it off to my editor. He is hoping to get to it within a week or so (as of Aug 20th), and we’ll probably knock it back and forth for the month of September. Then it goes into preproduction at Audible. That takes somewhere around four months or so, generally. The big uncontrollable variable is Ray Porter’s schedule. So, all in all, I’m thinking Feb or March of 2019 for the release.

Bobiverse Sequel
I am currently writing the next Bobiverse book, working title The Search for Bender. Three guesses what it’s about. I did an outline for the book and discussed it with my agent and my editor, and the consensus is that this is either a very thick book or possible a duology. We’ll see. But I want to have it (or them) written by the end of 2018. So, given the earlier-mentioned constraints, we’re probably looking at early summer 2019. If it turns out to be a duology, the books will be released very close together. I don’t like waiting a long time for the next book, and I know you don’t. I will post updates on this from time to time.

Apps
I was at a breakfast meeting at Worldcon where the subject came up of the apps that I wrote for the Bobiverse books. They were: a timeline app, a stellarium app, and a relativistic time/distance calculator. They all require various amounts of work, because between the time that I wrote them and now, Microsoft brought out Windows 10. Among other things, XNA doesn’t work on Win10, so now I have to convert to MonoGame. Also, I moved from VS2010 to VS2017 and of course everything broke.
But anyway, I’m going to clean up those apps and post them on something like Codeproject.com . And soon, because I need the apps working again to get the new Bobiverse book right.

Worldcon (sort of)
Worldcon was very interesting and entertaining, but I found myself dissatisfied with a few of the seminars because of what I see as a common problem with these one-hour single-serve events: mostly, they rehash what’s already been said, without going into a lot of new detail. Or they review the material, point out the outstanding questions, admit that these are hard questions, and never deal with them.
So, because I’m got nothing better to do and I’m not busy at all, I’m going to start irregularly blogging, and I’m going to begin by spouting off about some of these subjects. I am by no means an expert on them, so it should be great fun.

And that is, for now, it.

DET

17 comments

Skip to comment form

• Victor on August 20, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Yes! Please take all my money!

• Michael Weis on August 21, 2018 at 7:07 am

Thanks for the update.

• Jody Joiner on August 21, 2018 at 7:20 am

Wooo whooo!!!

Thank you for the update Dennis!!!

Looking forward to the new books!

Apps?!?!?

• Ivan on August 21, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Do we have to wait for Outland to come out on Audible, or will it be out as an ebook sooner than that?

1. Audible and e-book at the same time. Audible paid me an advance, so it’s only fair.

1. Dennis , your writing style is amazing, I spend hours in my car and listening to a lot of books. You have a great way of being able to hold a World in my head, weird eh!!! That’s not easy in my brain . I wish you all the best as I wish I had half your talent at story telling…

• Alexander on September 5, 2018 at 5:49 am

I am a Physics PhD from Germany and just love your realistic but fun novels. I have read trough all of them twice already (reading and listening whatever my surroundings permit)

I am so curious to see what happend to Bender and maybe even get a glimpse of the high Tau perception of Ikarus and Dedalus on the galactic core. They should be seeing the spreading o humanity in fast forward…

I am glad to wait for the congenious audible adaptations of Ray Porter, wishing you much success and many Novels coming our way.

• Benton McGrath on September 10, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Wow Mr. Taylor, seems like Outland will be ready by my birthday. I’ll consider that as a present from you. I might try out Audible just because of you sir. Your stories have actually inspired me to try my hand at some (not so great) writing of my own. Can’t wait for Outland, and I’m most definitely looking forward to seeing what happened to good ol Bender after he left Eden. (It was Eden, right? It’s been a few months since I read it again.)

• Kevin D Nickell on September 12, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Wow, WAY faster than George RR Martin.

• Susan A Hallock on September 15, 2018 at 6:00 am

Thank you for the update! I just finished listening to your 3rd Bobiverse book and will be starting Singularity next. Thank you for writing a very thought provoking and entertaining series!!

• Joe on September 19, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Dennis, Has there been any bites or progress on a television production deal for Bobiverse?

1. Announcement possible soon.

• Joe on September 20, 2018 at 9:52 am

Nice. A tentative congratulations.

Are you writing the scripts?

• Jath on October 6, 2018 at 12:02 pm

My dad wound up in the clink… (3rd DUI)… and I’ve been sending him books and stuff. But before I finish this story, I need to go back a couple months before he went in…

We knew at the time he was going to go in, so I was spending every Sunday with him bowling. Anyway, he likes to drink beer while he bowls, and was a little frosty by the end of it. We sat at the bar to chat and have a beer before we took off for the day.

I started talking about Van Neumann Probes, and trying to tell him about your book. When I was a kid, he loved this type of thing, Star Trek, Frozen Heads… etc… But today, he was getting mad at me. “That’s ridiculous” he said, “It would never work. Don’t talk to me about this ridiculous stuff, it’s pointless!”. Anyway, 10 minutes of me trying to tell him about the Bobiverse series, and him not understanding went by… and I told him “I’m going to send you this book when you’re jail.” That was going to be my revenge.

So I did… I sent all 3 books…

HA!

He HAS to read them now!

His letter admitted he read the first book so far and he’s really enjoying them. MY MASTER PLAN WORKED!!

Revenge is sweet!

• Bobby on October 11, 2018 at 9:07 am

Hello,

I’m a huge Bobiverse fan. I have listened to the three books several times each, although I have to admit bias favoring the series as I am a Bob myself. Great to hear about the update! I greatly look forward to the next entry in the series. Thank you for introducing this series into the world!

• Rob on October 17, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Hmm what will happen to my current version of Outland when I buy the new version? Will I have 2 versions of the book or will it over write the old version? I like the old version and don’t want to lose it.

Thanks! I enjoy your work.

1. The new version will be an entirely different ISBN and ASIN, so no overwriting.